Tuesday, August 5, 2008

It's Apparent You're a Foster Parent When...

...your four year old asks for his "meds".

...you contemplate not swatting a 14 pound mosquito because someone might mistake it for abuse.

...the door bell rings you make sure the meds are double locked before you answer.

...you have to write reports on all of the stuff you didn't do today. We did not take child A to any medical appointments. We did not take child B to any medical appointments. We did not take child C to any medical appointments.

...you see your child doing something dangerous and you contemplate which report/investigation will be worse. Improper restraint/Improper supervision.

...your kids play "caseworker" and they ask each other "where do you sleep?" and "how does that make you feel?"

... they ask if you remember which mom was it that....

...this is a problem

...people ask, "are you babysitting? Are they ALL yours?"

...you get the "knowing glances" (judging)that others give you when you have several children of different races, and they alternate with the kids that match you on the outside and they all call you mom.

...You have a 5th grader, a 6th grader, a 7th grader, an 8th grader and a 9th grader. 3 of them are 14 and 2 of them are 12 and they go to four different schools, because some have special needs that can't be served by your neighborhood school.

...you need the police to get a child into or out of the house.

...you have to practice waking up without screaming with a two year old.

...your bio kids know more about attachment disorders than a psychologist, because they live it everyday.

...you are perplexed when the receptionist asks for payment after a bio kids doctor visit.

1 comment:

Sugar-n-Spice said...

Now that's funny. Because of how well I can relate.

The mosquito thing had me in stitches. I yanked one of my foster children by the arms to get her out of a bed of fire ants in our yard. I was really worried about who might have seen me yank her up like that. I'm sure it looked like abuse and I always seem to be under extra scrutiny.

But seriously, I've never had to have police (though I almost called them when one of ours ran away....instead I chose to chase him like a mad woman) to have one come or go. My kids play case worker, too, and my small bio kid insist that she, too, had other moms. She gets upset when her foster sibling tells her she did not.